What to Bring
Karmê Chöling is situated at 605 feet elevation east of the Green Mountains of Vermont.
Be prepared for variable and unpredictable weather!
Please review “ Retreat Cabin Inventory” to understand what you will find in your cabin!
Here are some things to remember to bring with you for your retreat.
Any time of the year:
- Medications, and your preferred First Aid items (see cabin inventory for what is in
- Battery-operated LED reading lamp or headlamp with a bright white light.
- Your toiletries; wet wipes can be handy.
- Lip balm, sun screen
- Battery-operated alarm clock.
- We supply cloth rags for cleaning, no paper towels.
- Cash for buying food items from Karmê Chöling for longer retreats; we do not do
- Warm slippers.
- Sturdy boots with good lug soles.
- Yak tracks, or some other device to attach to the underside of your boots to
- Warm coat, hat, mittens and/or gloves, scarf.
In deep winter:
- Snow boots with lug soles are a must .
- Layers of clothing .
- If traveling by car, consider bringing a small rug .
- Hot water bottle .
- Hot cocoa and other warm comfort food.
- Raincoat, rain hat, galoshes.
- Hiking shoes or boots with lug soles; sneakers.
- Even in the summer the evenings can be cool; please bring a warm jacket and
- Insect repellent: Although we provide some insect repellent, it may not be a brand
suitable for you.
- For a cabin retreat May-October we recommend
- Buying insect-repellent clothing OR
- Treating a set of light colored outdoor clothing and shoes with Permethrin in order to repel ticks. The retreats staff uses Permethrin Gators, or treated sleaves that you wear over pant legs.
- Please be aware that Permethrin in liquid form is toxic for aquatic life and for cats. Once it is dried, the clothing is safe to wear on bare skin.
- All vajrayana chants, and your liturgies and sadhanas
- All offering substances for the shrine (candles, incense, charcoal, saffron, ink,
sake, dutsi etc.).
- Cord to repair broken mala or an extra mala.
Food and beverages:
- You are responsible for purchasing and bringing to retreat all your own food.
- Bring into retreat all the drygoods and non-perishables you’ll need for your retreat.
Plain water for drinking and cooking is provided.
- Karmê Chöling’s one-acre organic garden provides boxes of produce for $25 per
box during the growing season, June-October. You can order a box or more for
your retreat with fresh seasonal produce. A box should last a week.
These foods are alive and full of flavor. You never quite know what you get in a box, but the Retreat Master can send you a list of the most current garden produce if you ask by email a week before your retreat.
Let the Retreat Master know if you want to order a box at least a week in advance
of your arrival day.
Don’t forget these if you want them – they are not supplied:
- Incense, lhasang substances, charcoal, tea for the protector offerings.
- Votive candles or tea lights (votives or tall cylinder candles encased in glass only
– tapers or column candles are not permitted).
- Practice implements, gong.
- Any first aid materials other than what is provided (see cabin inventory).
Was this helpful?