Working and Living
At Karmê Chöling
At Karmê Chöling, you are much more than your job. You will join a community of people who bring their minds and hearts to what they do each day. Our team is inspired by the service and support they offer the many visitors, retreatants, and residents that come to Karmê Chöling seeking insight, enrichment, and community.
When you work at Karmê Chöling, you’ll have the opportunity to learn from respected contemplative and spiritual teachers as well as other students of Buddhism, meditation, and mindfulness who are all working to build a more compassionate and resilient future for all.
Everyone who lives and works at Karmê Chöling may join our morning and evening community sitting as well as the classes and study groups created for our residential community. Set in a beautifully renovated farmhouse nestled in the Green Mountains of Vermont, the Karmê Chöling encourages all its staff members to connect deeply with nature, as well as our fellow humans.
Staff commit to:
- Work ~30 hours per week
- Provide 5-10 hours of additional community work (e.g. dish shifts etc.)
- Attend all staff trainings, practice sessions, meetings, and community events and participate in the governance of our community by, for example, planning a party, organizing a staff retreat, sitting on a committee, starting a book discussion, etc.
- Abide by our Karmê Chöling Code of Conduct
- Abide by our Karmê Chöling COVID Policy.
- Room and Board at Karmê Chöling (room assignment depending upon position); Meals (includes organic produce from our garden)
- Access to kitchens to prepare your own meals with our supplies
- Staff basic “exercise” room with weights, treadmill, etc.
- 28 paid days off per year, huge discounts/free Shambhala programs
- Modest Stipend
- Two hours each day for formal meditation practice
- Personal Meditation Instructor
- Free periodic staff classes within the Shambhala tradition
- Generous guest policy
*Please Note: If you are not a US citizen or lawful permanent resident, then you must pre-clear your immigration status with us before applying. Only certain Core Staff Positions qualify to apply for US Religious Worker VISA status and you must meet certain requirements.
Also, please note that we do not have room for storage of personal items such as bikes, skis, tires, etc.
If you have any questions, please email the Head of Personnel
Welcome and thank you for your interest in joining our staff! We have two categories of core staff, residential and non-residential. We seek applicants with skills and work experience relevant to the position for which they are applying. For more information about any of the positions, email the Head of Personnel (email is the preferred initial contact).
Year Round Staff
- Director of Programs - Residential
Remote / Off-site Staff
- There are no positions at this time
Fall 2023 Openings
- Head of Personnel
Was this helpful?